Re: WOFF spec comments (was Re: Metadata Questions)

On 10 Nov 2010, at 20:52, Chris Lilley wrote:

> On Wednesday, November 10, 2010, 9:40:52 PM, John wrote:
>
> JD> Chris Lilley wrote:
>
>>> I seem to recall discussion that the OT spec required padding
>>> between tables but was silent or ambiguous about padding after the
>>> last table.
>
> JD> I should point out here that the OT spec doesn't *require*
> JD> padding, it merely recommends it.
>
> JD> http://www.microsoft.com/typography/otspec/recom.htm
>
> Thanks for the correction. "It is suggested" is pretty weak, especially followed by a 'should'.

There's stronger language elsewhere in the spec:

Quote: "Note: This function implies that the length of a table must be a multiple of four bytes. In fact, a font is not considered structurally proper without the correct padding. All tables must begin on four byte boundries, and any remaining space between tables is padded with zeros."

(http://www.microsoft.com/typography/otspec/otff.htm)

JK