Re: WOFF and extended metadata

David Berlow wrote:

> But I believe in the long term the best purpose of
> metadata is to enable web authors to use font information to make
> typographic content more accessible to users.
> I think that users will want to check to see if the author whose site
> they are browsing has used the fonts according to the metadata. And, I
> think "who made it" is low on the author's and user's list when it comes
> to useful web font metadata.

Are you talking here specifically in terms of WOFF file metadata, or
font metadata more generally?

Recommendations for font use that relate to typography, i.e. to best use
of the font, seem to me font-level metadata, rather than container-level
metadata, and I would expect to find them in the font data, e.g. in your
'epar' table, rather than in the WOFF metadata.

Since WOFF is designed so that individual font data tables can be
separately unpacked, I'm not sure whether there would be a benefit to
including such information in the WOFF metadata in addition to or
instead of in the font data. And when I say I'm not sure, I mean that I
don't know, not that I'm dismissing the possibility.

JH