Re: fsType and embedding information

Sylvain wrote:

> But if it helps reset the expectations of those who produce EOT - or will
> produce EOT, until such time as the IE installed base supports a common format -
> then sure.

Resetting expectations is a good way to put it. This is how I see it:

The OpenType specification does not create any expectation regarding
relevance of embedding bits to web fonts, but it does leave significant
ambiguity due to its failure to define what it means by 'document
embedding' and its broadly described application of embedding bit 1.

EOT created the expectation that embedding bits are related to web
fonts, by explicitly describing a role for them in the EOT spec and
enforcing that role in the MS WEFT tool. [Calling the format 'Embedded'
OpenType also contributed to this expectation.]

Given this situation, I believe any new web font format needs to clearly
state whether or not embedding bits are relevant in order, as you say,
to reset expectations.

 > (As long as we don't mention EOT)

Agreed.

JH