Re: WOFF and extended metadata

On Tue, May 25, 2010 at 12:59 AM, Levantovsky, Vladimir <
Vladimir.Levantovsky@monotypeimaging.com> wrote:

> Persuasion is exactly what I am doing here. We established WebFonts WG that
> unites all major browser vendors, font vendors and web authors, and our goal
> is to come up with the technology that satisfies all parties involved. The
> WG gives us all an opportunity to clarify misconceptions and false
> assumptions, and to move things forward to a mutually agreed solution. The
> best way to get there is through the open discussion.

This mailing list isn't a suitable forum for requesting changes to the
Firefox UI. A better forum would be the mozilla.dev.apps.firefox newsgroup.

Browsers do not question whether a content produced by authors should or
> should not be shown to an end user, they simply show it if and when the user
> wants to see it - I click on the URL, browser shows me the page.

Actually we have a long history of overriding misguided author decisions,
e.g. by imposing minimum font sizes and blocking popup windows. But that's
not really relevant here since we are talking about metadata, not Web
content.

We have a similar situation here: WOFF file may contain a metadata that user
> wants to see,

the only missing component is the URL to click on. This is exactly where I
> see the spec should fill the void, and paraphrasing your statement above,
> the spec should stick to defining the issues that affect interoperability,
> such as the syntax and semantics of the metadata, and the behavior of a
> browser when a metadata is present. Not specifying a behavior creates an
> interoperability problem.

No, there is no interoperability problem when browsers present metadata
differently (including not at all). That does not lead to a situation where
authors find their pages working in one browser and not in another.

Rob
53:5-6]