Re: About using CORS

On Tue, 04 May 2010 07:04:06 +0900, Sylvain Galineau
<sylvaing@microsoft.com> wrote:
>> HTTP compression works just fine for fonts. That font vendors are
>> willing
>> to license fonts with this new format which offers no protection in
>> practice is surprising, but maybe it makes it worth the effort.
>
> I am not commenting on whether fonts *can* be compressed by HTTP, but
> whether resources *are* compressed by HTTP and how often. In practice,
> as many as 20% of the users of major sites do not in fact get a
> compressed response due to caching proxy strategies.

That sounds like a general problem with HTTP compression. Again something
that does not just need to be solved for fonts, as far as I can tell.

> Labeling things you disagree with as FUD is neither helpful nor
> necessary.
> If font decoding is less secure than other content types, same-origin
> restrictions mitigate the risk somewhat by requiring the attacker to be
> able to post font resources on the origin site. (At which point, well,
> all bets are off...) Without that restriction, the attack surface is
> most definitely larger.

I don't really see it. If the browser has such a severe bug it would need
to be fixed immediately. Maybe you can make the scenario more concrete?

>> It does not fit at all with how same-origin restrictions have been
>> determined and applied so far.
>
> And ?

I don't think fonts warrant a change.

--