Re: WOFF and extended metadata

On Tuesday, June 8, 2010, 6:57:45 PM, John wrote:

JH> Erik van Blokland wrote:

>> The only failing use cases are for things that you suggested to add.
>> Dropping the meta data will greatly reduce the support the proposal has
>> at the foundries and it would move the discussion back a year. I'm not
>> sure that's a good way to go.

JH> Standard metadata is definitely one of the key selling points of WOFF
JH> for font makers and at least some of our customers. Uncertainty over the
JH> structure of metadata *extension* shouldn't have any impact on normative
JH> definition or acceptance of what I'll call core metadata.

It would be good to have some examples of such standard metadata, preferably derived from real-world usage. The spec is short on examples here and good examples encourage people to copy and modify to suit their purposes.

 Technical Director, Interaction Domain
 W3C Graphics Activity Lead
 Co-Chair, W3C Hypertext CG