RE: WOFF and extended metadata

On Thu, 2010-06-03 at 17:05 +0000, Sylvain Galineau wrote:
> [...] I very much doubt
> that your average font shop can or will take advantage of the ability to optimize
> name/value pair combinations as they'd have to test the mismatched name/value sets
> against a number of possible user language preferences to make sure the results
> always make sense. That doesn't sound like making their lives any easier.

Sometimes it's better to avoid a possible error situation altogether, I
agree.

<property xml:lang="en">
  <name>The displayed name here</name>
  <value>The displayed value</value>
</property>

This can be augmented further, e.g.

<property xml:lang="en" name="animaltesting">
  <label>Animal testing</name>
  <value>No animals were eaten during development of this font.</value>
</property>

The display rule is,
* if the name attribute is given, the first matching label/value pair
should be displayed, as determined by xml:lang
* if the name is absent, the property is displayed if the xml:lang value
matches the user's setting (or locale)

The name attribute itself is not intended to be displayed.

A more deeply nested structure would have a containter element around
all properties that have the same name,

<property name="eye-style">
  <name>Eyes</name>
  <value>Eyes of unruly beasts</value>
  <alternate xml:lang="fr">
    <name>La Poissonnerie</name>
    <value>Il faut toujours s'attendre à être étrillé dans les
auberges.</value>
  </alternate>
  <alternate xml:lang="nl">
    <name>Wakkere duuw</name>
    <value>Het doet mij leed dat ik hem zulke sterke dúwen geef</value>
  </alternate>
  . . .
</property>

This might be harder to author, and easier to process. The name
attribute is then not needed, although might still be useful for
automated processing, e.g. a font foundry's test harness.

Hope this helps!

Liam