RE: WOFF specification name

On Tuesday, August 31, 2010 2:52 PM John Hudson wrote:

> While I'm sensitive to the explanatory problem we've created in using
> the term format, I'm not sure that 'framework' really captures what
> we're specifying, and in terms of a file extension .woff it doesn't
> make much sense to talk about serving a framework.

I guess the problem is rooted in the fact that WOFF name is very similar to ISO "Open Font Format", which *is* a font format specification. WOFF is likely be seen as "Web OFF", hence the popular but false conviction that it is another font format.

> I'm trying to think of a word that begins with F that suggests a
> container. Unfortunately, all I can come up with is Web Open Font
> Firkin. :)

LOL :D
I can imaging serving it on the Web ;)

I guess we are stuck with "format".