Re: What do we want to put in the Touch Events v2 WG Note? [Was: Re: ACTION-105 ...]

On Mon, Oct 21, 2013 at 2:43 PM, Matt Brubeck <mbrubeck@mozilla.com> wrote:

> On 10/17/2013 7:12 AM, Arthur Barstow wrote:
>
>> During WebEvents' October 15 call, we discussed the Touch Events version
>> 2 Working Group Note [1]. Rather than merging important changes from v1 to
>> v2 and publishing v2 in its entirety, Rick suggested that it could be
>> simpler and more useful if the Note just contained deltas of interfaces
>> that have two or more implementations.

Actually I believe I said "at least one implementation".  I.e. those that
were never implemented anywhere (touchenter/leave) serve to only cause
confusion.

That would be fine with me.  I don't think we should publish the v2 draft
> as-is (without merging in recent changes from v1) because of potential
> confusion caused by unintentional deltas.  I think we should either merge
> the v1 changes and then publish v2 in its entirety, or publish just a list
> of intentional changes.

Agreed.

 We also talked a little bit about the criteria for a feature to be
>> included in the Note. More specifically, it seems like a feature would only
>> be included in the Note if it has two or more implementations. Another
>> consideration is the degree of deployment `in the wild` for these features.
>> Thus, if (for example) Touch.force has never been implemented, it probably
>> should not included. Feedback on these considerations is also welcome.
>>

> I don't have a strong opinion here.  How many of the v2 features actually
> have two implementations?  Gecko implements radiusX, radiusY, force, and
> identifiedTouch.

webkit/blink implement radiusX, radiusY, force.  I think those are really
the only changes from v1 (along with initTouchEvent which we never specced
at all) that we have in blink/webkit.  I'd be happy if we just noted those
(and perhaps also identifiedTouch - but I don't have a strong opinion about
it).

I don't know however if there were any other changes of value in V2.  Is
there revision control history to see what was added to v2 but not v1?

Rick