Re: Touch Events spec and HTML5 dependency tests

From: Philippe Le Hegaret <plh@w3.org>
Date: Wed, 03 Apr 2013 08:24:33 -0700
To: Arthur Barstow <art.barstow@nokia.com>
Cc: Doug Schepers <doug@w3.org>, "public-webevents@w3.org" <public-webevents@w3.org>
On Wed, 2013-04-03 at 09:21 -0400, Arthur Barstow wrote:
> Philippe, Doug,
>
> Re the Touch Events spec [TE] and its HTML5 dependency, the only part of
> HTML5 that is used is WindowProxy. (Based on LC feedback from Boris last
> month [LC-3], as part of some Web IDL bug fixes, this dependency was
> added when we replaced AbstractView with WindowProxy).
>
> Robin mentioned the Window object tests are:
>
> <https://github.com/w3c/web-platform-tests/tree/master/html/browsers/the-window-object>
>
> And, Robin reported "according to my coverage analysis Window is pretty
> decent".
>
> Given this - for the purposes of advancing the Touch Events spec from PR
> to REC - can we assume the tests above are sufficient to satisfy the
> Touch Event's dependency on HTML5?

That would be my guess. WindowProxy has been in the spec for a longtime,
and implemented in browsers for more than a decade. In addition, HTML5
says:
[[
It is thus indistinguishable from that Window object in every way until
the browsing context is navigated.

There is no WindowProxy interface object.
]]
http://www.w3.org/TR/html5/browsers.html#the-windowproxy-object

So, in other words, you can't really test WindowProxy. It's equivalent
to testing a Window object. And TE doesn't put expectation on what
features must be exposed on WindowProxy. So, I can't think of a test to
write here.

Philippe