Re: [Touch events] createTouchList should probably take a sequence, not an IDL array

From: Rick Byers <rbyers@google.com>
Date: Thu, 6 Dec 2012 15:59:22 -0500
To: Boris Zbarsky <bzbarsky@mit.edu>
Cc: Matt Brubeck <mbrubeck@mozilla.com>, Sangwhan Moon <smoon@opera.com>, Arthur Barstow <art.barstow@nokia.com>, public-webevents@w3.org
On Thu, Dec 6, 2012 at 3:44 PM, Boris Zbarsky <bzbarsky@mit.edu> wrote:

> On 12/6/12 3:42 PM, Rick Byers wrote:
>
>> According to http://www.w3.org/TR/WebIDL/#**idl-operations<http://www.w3.org/TR/WebIDL/#idl-operations>,
>> I believe the
>> correct WebIDL would be:
>> TouchList createTouchList (Touch ...touches);
>>

> Ah, ok.
>
> Gecko doesn't implement that for sure; it only allows a single Touch or an
> array of Touch objects at the moment, not a variable number of arguments.
>  :(

Yep, which means there's no way to write code that creates a multi-element
touchlist that works on both Firefox and iOS without an ugly UA check :-(.

Since the goal for the V1 spec is interoperability, I'd vote for changing
the spec and adding this form to the Gecko implementation - but I don't
know what that means for the spec (do we have to go back to WD?).  I filed
https://www.w3.org/2010/webevents/track/issues/27 to track.