Re: [Touch events] createTouchList should probably take a sequence, not an IDL array

From: Rick Byers <rbyers@google.com>
Date: Thu, 6 Dec 2012 15:42:03 -0500
To: Boris Zbarsky <bzbarsky@mit.edu>, Matt Brubeck <mbrubeck@mozilla.com>
Cc: Sangwhan Moon <smoon@opera.com>, Arthur Barstow <art.barstow@nokia.com>, public-webevents@w3.org
On Thu, Nov 29, 2012 at 9:03 PM, Boris Zbarsky <bzbarsky@mit.edu> wrote:

> On 11/29/12 8:56 PM, Rick Byers wrote:
>
>> I support changing the V1 spec to TouchList createTouchList (Touch
>> touch, ...);
>>

> I'm not sure what that means.  That's not valid WebIDL...

According to http://www.w3.org/TR/WebIDL/#idl-operations, I believe the
correct WebIDL would be:
TouchList createTouchList (Touch ...touches);

I believe the iOS and upstream WebKit implementaions implement only this
form today.  I believe I can add the array form to upstream WebKit, but I
have no influence over the iOS implementation.

Matt, how should we proceed?  I don't consider this API to be very
important, so I don't think this should be a huge deal (eg. identifiedTouch
is also something that not all implementations today support).  What's the
impact if we change the spec to match the original implementations, and
move the array-form constructor to v2?