Re: Point Events Specification contact geometry definition improvement suggestion

From: Brandon Wallace <brandon.wallace@yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, 26 Sep 2012 04:57:39 -0700 (PDT)
To: "public-webevents@w3.org" <public-webevents@w3.org>
Hi all, I apologize about the HTML format of my original message.  Here it is again in plain text:

In the new Pointer Events Specification http://www.w3.org/Submission/2012/SUBM-pointer-events-20120907/, the contact geometry of a PointerEvent is represented only as a { width, height } which implies a geometry that can only be an axis-aligned rectangle (or ellipse I suppose).  What about hardware which supports more accurate contact geometry information?  For example, with the current specification, I cannot easily tell if a user puts a finger on the screen and then rotates the finger, even though my hardware supplies this information.

Can more information be added to more fully specify the contact area?  At a minimum, adding a rotation angle would allow for the geometry to not be aligned with the screen.

Brandon