W3C home > Mailing lists > Public > public-webevents@w3.org > July to September 2012

Draft minutes: 21 August 2011 call

From: Arthur Barstow <art.barstow@nokia.com>
Date: Tue, 21 Aug 2012 11:48:58 -0400
Message-ID: <5033ADEA.7020909@nokia.com>
To: "public-webevents@w3.org" <public-webevents@w3.org>
The draft minutes from the August 21 voice conference are available at 
the following and copied below:

<http://www.w3.org/2012/08/21-webevents-minutes.html>

WG Members - if you have any comments, corrections, etc., please send 
them to the public-webevents mail list before August 28. In the absence 
of any changes, these minutes will be considered approved.

-Thanks, ArtB

    [1]W3C

       [1] http://www.w3.org/

                                - DRAFT -

                      Web Events WG Voice Conference

21 Aug 2012

    [2]Agenda

       [2] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-webevents/2012JulSep/0012.html

    See also: [3]IRC log

       [3] http://www.w3.org/2012/08/21-webevents-irc

Attendees

    Present
           Art_Barstow, Matt_Brubeck, Scott_Gonzαlez, Olli_Pettay,
           Cathy_Chan, Doug_Schepers

    Regrets
           Rick_Byers

    Chair
           Art

    Scribe
           Art

Contents

      * [4]Topics
          1. [5]Tweak Agenda
          2. [6]Announcements
          3. [7]TouchList.identifiedTouch method in Touch Events v1
          4. [8]Remaining work needed to complete the v1 test suite
          5. [9]Microsoft's MSPointerEvents and TouchEvents v2
          6. [10]Pointer.js; e-mail by Boris Smus
          7. [11]TEv2 Comment by Richard Creamer re pressure,
             hover, ...
          8. [12]AoB
      * [13]Summary of Action Items
      __________________________________________________________

    <scribe> Scribe: Art

    <scribe> ScribeNick: ArtB

    Date: 21 August 2012

Tweak Agenda

    AB: I posted a draft agenda on August 20
    [14]http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-webevents/2012Ju
    lSep/0012.html
    ... Given Ricks' regrets, I propose we drop item #4 "TouchEvent
    test results for Chrome". Any objections to that?
    ... if anyone has comments for Rick's data, please respond to
    the list
    ... Any change requests?

      [14] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-webevents/2012JulSep/0012.html

    [ none ]

Announcements

    AB: any short announcements for today? I don't have any.

TouchList.identifiedTouch method in Touch Events v1

    AB: last week, Matt sent an email
    [15]http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-webevents/2012Ju
    lSep/0007.html about the identifiedTouch method in TEv1
    [16]http://dvcs.w3.org/hg/webevents/raw-file/v1/touchevents.htm
    l.
    ... the main issue here is the status of the implementation of
    the identifiedTouch method in the TEv1 Candidate.
    ... there may also be a sub-issue here about what we mean in
    the CR's so-called "exit criteria" where it says "... and two
    or more independent implementations must pass each test before
    the specification exits Candidate Recommendation".
    ... that is a common criteria and it means that each test must
    be correctly implemented by at least two implementations. It
    does Not mean that two or more implementations must pass Every
    test. There's a big difference.
    ... there were some followups

      [15] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-webevents/2012JulSep/0007.html
      [16] http://dvcs.w3.org/hg/webevents/raw-file/v1/touchevents.html.

    MB: that clarification on the exit criteria helps a lot

    … that is, it may not be a problem

    … especially since Rick indicated Chrome can implement this
    method

    … As such, I think this well taken care of

    AB: ok; that's good. Anyone else?
    ... is there a problem with RIM/BB impl?

    MB: I was concerned about whether they were updating their impl

    … but if we have another impl, that isn't a problem

    AB: so, the conclusion then is that we expect at least two
    implementations of this method

    … is that correct?

    … We have Chrome potentially, and Gecko and Sangwhan indicated
    Opera would implement it

    MB: yes, we're OK re at least two impls of this method

Remaining work needed to complete the v1 test suite

    AB: last week Matt agreed to ACTION-96: "Make a list of
    remaining work needed to complete the v1 test suite"
    [17]http://www.w3.org/2010/webevents/track/actions/96

      [17] http://www.w3.org/2010/webevents/track/actions/96

    … how is that going Matt?

    MB: I haven't completed that yet

    … I will work on that action this week

    AB: if anyone wants to help Matt with that action, please
    contact him
    ... anything else on v1 testing for today?

    [ No ]

Microsoft's MSPointerEvents and TouchEvents v2

    AB: last week Doug agreed to ACTION-95: "Talk to Microsoft
    about PointerEvents vis-a-vis TouchEvents v2; Doug Schepers"
    [18]http://www.w3.org/2010/webevents/track/actions/95
    ... for references, see
    [19]http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh673557.aspx and
    [20]http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/apps/hh4412
    33.aspx as well as the excellent blog by Scott
    [21]https://docs.google.com/document/d/1ukTwVTYH2_2pxSwdwaJ_UqR
    wa2wqWL9JLI-MANER8BQ/edit?pli=1 that enumerates some of the
    advantages of the PointerEvent.

      [18] http://www.w3.org/2010/webevents/track/actions/95
      [19] http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh673557.aspx
      [20] http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/apps/hh441233.aspx
      [21] https://docs.google.com/document/d/1ukTwVTYH2_2pxSwdwaJ_UqRwa2wqWL9JLI-MANER8BQ/edit?pli=1

    DS: I had some confidential discussions with Microsoft

Pointer.js; e-mail by Boris Smus

    AB: Boris Smus sent an e-mail to the list
    [22]http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-webevents/2012Ap
    rJun/0010.html about his Pointer.js work
    [23]https://github.com/borismus/pointer.js.
    ... any comments about this work?

      [22] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-webevents/2012AprJun/0010.html
      [23] https://github.com/borismus/pointer.js.

    MB: this is a shim that wraps PointerEvents and TouchEvents

    … I think Scott was talking about doing something similar in
    jQuery

    … could make sense to work together

    SG: yes, I can look into that

    … appears to be more about native touch events

    … would make sense to look at his implementation

    DS: Boris mentions rallying around a single spec

    … which makes a lot of sense

    <mbrubeck> As Scott points out, it looks like pointer.js
    implements an API based on Pointer Events, by wrapping Touch
    Events and Mouse Events

    AB: thanks for that clarification Matt

TEv2 Comment by Richard Creamer re pressure, hover, ...

    AB: Richard Creamer submitted comments about TEv2 spec
    [24]http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-webevents/2012Ju
    lSep/0001.html

      [24] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-webevents/2012JulSep/0001.html

    <mbrubeck> It dispatches its own "native" DOM events (unlike
    jQuery which would presumably provide normalized events only
    through its own library methods, and not directly on the DOM).

    <scott_gonzalez> He's actually overriding
    HTMLElement.addEventListener()

    <scott_gonzalez>
    [25]https://github.com/borismus/pointer.js/blob/master/js/point
    er.js#L210-232

      [25] https://github.com/borismus/pointer.js/blob/master/js/pointer.js#L210-232

    MB: yes, these comments should be addressed for TEv1 plus work

AoB

    AB: any other topics for today?
    ... next call ...

    … a main task ahead is completing the test suite for the v1
    spec

    … and that probably doesn't require any meeting time

    … So, the next call will be when we have something substantive
    to discuss

    DS: agree we need to complete the test suite

    … a meeting can help us maintain focus

    MB: I'll try to keep the test suite moving forward

    AB: I can reiterate I think we need the minimal test suite that
    can prove interoperability

    DS: agree

    AB: next call then when we have something to discuss
    ... anything else?
    ... meeting adjourned

Summary of Action Items

    [End of minutes]
Received on Tuesday, 21 August 2012 15:49:23 GMT

This archive was generated by hypermail 2.2.0+W3C-0.50 : Tuesday, 21 August 2012 15:49:24 GMT