Re: Pointer.js

Hello Boris,

On Tue, 19 Jun 2012 04:49:47 +0900, Boris Smus <smus@google.com> wrote:

> Hi folks,
>
> Just wanted to drop a note to this list (at Rick Byers' suggestion),
> about
> pointer.js (http://goo.gl/7brWp). This JS library is intended to be a
> prototype of a consolidated input event model based on points. The idea
> is
> for this library to be a shim over a future spec, so that once we have
> said
> spec that is widely implemented, all a web developer has to do is stop
> using the library.
>
> It's heavily inspired by MSPointerEvents, and happens to be quite similar
> to this proposal (http://goo.gl/i32Q9), except this proposal seems to be
> bit more fleshed out. I wonder if we can rally around a spec to merge
> some
> of these disparate efforts into one.

+1.

This is pretty much what I've been aiming for w.r.t the "i32Q9" proposal
mentioned
above. I'm still a bit hesitant if this should be actually drafted into a
document
as I haven't got any feedback until this point - not to mention that I
still see
some loopholes that I don't have good resolutions to in the strawman at
the moment.

I see potential to roll this into a Opera Labs build using Browser
JavasScript after
discussing internally - but I'll get back to this topic after I actually
initiate a
internal discussion regarding this matter.

One thing I am a bit unsure about is that pointer.js covers gestures,
which is somewhat
out of scope - it seems to be a better fit into IndieUI rather than
touch/pointer events.

What do you think about making this modular so pointer events and indie UI
events are
in two different modules? (Sadly, IndieUI is still gathering usecases and
nobody has a
firm idea how big it will be - so making a wrapper module like this might
be a significant
amount of effort)

>> From pointer.js side, I am happy to change syntax, etc once this starts
> happening.

That's great - I'd be willing to even fork the code and patch it up to
conform to
the specification if this actually gets through.

--
Sangwhan Moon, Opera Software ASA
"Sent from my computer"