Re: Expand of WG’s Target Input Devic es - related new chater

Hi.

On Mon, 31 Oct 2011 23:53:26 +0100, 전종홍 <hollobit@etri.re.kr> wrote:

> (...)
> 1) Joystick [related: https://wiki.mozilla.org/JoystickAPI ,
> http://www.w3.org/2011/09/games/#joystick ]
> (...)
> 4) Racing wheel

The racing wheel and the joystick should share the same API. While the
joystick moves in a two dimension referential, the wheel moves in one. The
way the device feeds information to the listener should be the same: one
or two variables depending on the axis, with a tilt between a range of
values (say -1 to 1). The API should provide a way to feed back some
inertia to the device, if it supports it.

> 2) Gamepad [related :
> http://dvcs.w3.org/hg/webevents/raw-file/tip/gamepad.html ]

I don't see any special needs for gamepad specific events. These can be
easily supported using standard key events plus the joystick API. Plus,
the keyIdentifier property of keyboard events can return the typical key
names (A, B, C, D, Select, Enter, L1, L2, R1, R2, etc).

Plus, it is hardware bias and as such, will break if I want to use a
keyboard instead of a gamepad, so the user agent will have to go through
extra hurdles just to map the keyboard into gamepad events. Vice versa
also applies. The user might want to use a game pad to play a game that
just uses regular key events, and the gamepad specific API makes sure that
won't happen.

> 3) Trackball

This is the exact same thing as a mouse. Simple two dimensional pointing
device with a click button. Don't understand the extra features it needs
that aren't present in mouse events.

> 5) Midi input [ref : http://abumarkub.net/abublog/?page_id=399 ]

Perhaps a midi input is a bit outside the scope for this group, and should
be handled more like a device API.

> 6) Motion Sensing Controller
> (...)
> Typical examples of motion sensing controller is the Wii Remote, is the
> primary controller for Nintendo's Wii console. A main feature of the Wii
> Remote is its motion sensing capability.

Opera's API for the wiimote http://cruppel.com/wii/api/.

Notice the rotation information includes two angles, I think it's missing
a third one, although I generally prefer vectors, because they can be
immediately used in calculations.

> 7) Gesture recognition

A specification for gestures is something I'm skeptical about.

Would it make sense to specify a limited set of trivial gestures (swipe
left, up down, left, pinch) ? Shouldn't this actually be handled by
assistive technology or the user agent, to detect patterns the user has
previously configured, and then map those actions to ui events the user
has chosen, like zooming, panning, and navigate ?