Re: Draft Updated Charter adding Mouse Lock and Gamepad

On Fri, Oct 7, 2011 at 11:30 AM, Chris Wilson <cwilso@google.com> wrote:

> Don't underestimate main-thread latency: poorly written Web apps (or Web
>> apps sharing a main thread with other, poorly written Web apps, which still
>> happens a lot in all browsers) can easily see tens of milliseconds of
>> latency, or even arbitrary amounts.
>>

> True enough.  I'm thinking of the simplicity of output more than I'm
> thinking of input.  I'd hate to force it to be in another thread (or more to
> the point, for the developer to have to think about threading) to write
> simple MIDI apps.

As I mentioned earlier in the thread, I think it makes sense to add an API,
say a GeneratedMediaStream, that lets you feed data into a MediaStream from
the main thread. If that supported MIDI, then you could use MediaStreams to
generate MIDI output and send it to a device without having to deal with
non-main threads. You would still get synchronization and other benefits. If
you want to synthesize audio output from the MIDI data then of course you
would want to do that using a Worker; but you could pull down a library to
do it, and the Worker usage would be hidden in the library.

Rob
--
"If we claim to be without sin, we deceive ourselves and the truth is not in
us. If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just and will forgive us our