Re: WebEvents-ISSUE-4: Does preventDefault on touchmove cause a dragging motion to fire a click event? [Touch Events spec]

From: Peter-Paul Koch <pp.koch@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 15 Feb 2011 21:21:54 +0100
To: Web Events Working Group WG <public-webevents@w3.org>
> WebEvents-ISSUE-4: Does preventDefault on touchmove cause a dragging motion to fire a click event? [Touch Events spec]
>
> http://www.w3.org/2010/webevents/track/issues/4
>
> Raised by: Matt Brubeck
> On product: Touch Events spec
>
> Andrew Grieve <http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-webevents/2011JanMar/0043.html>:
> [[
> If preventDefault() is called on all touchmove events, should a click be
> fired even after dragging and taking your finger off the screen?
>  -This is the case with iOS
>  -I can't think of why this would be desirable.
> ]]

I'd say Yes, the click event should fire. One user action triggers
several events here, and the fact that you prevent the default of one
should not influence the firing of other events. It may not be very
desirable, but it is logical. (As far as I'm concerned.)

ppk, mobile platform strategist
http://quirksmode.org/about/
+.31.6.29585782