Re: WebEvents-ISSUE-3: Click event target after DOM mutation during touchstart [Touch Events spec]

From: Olli Pettay <Olli.Pettay@helsinki.fi>
Date: Mon, 13 Jun 2011 19:30:42 +0300
To: Web Events Working Group WG <public-webevents@w3.org>
(This  action-51)

On 02/15/2011 06:48 PM, Web Events Working Group Issue Tracker wrote:

> WebEvents-ISSUE-3: Click event target after DOM mutation during touchstart [Touch Events spec]
>
> http://www.w3.org/2010/webevents/track/issues/3
>
> Raised by: Matt Brubeck
> On product: Touch Events spec
>
> Andrew Grieve<http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-webevents/2011JanMar/0043.html>:
> [[
> If the user taps the screen, and the page changes the DOM within the context
> of the touchstart event, should a click event be fired on the new DOM?
>   -this is the case for both Android&  iPhone
Sounds like that for compatibility we need to support that.
Unfortunately it is likely that the behavior needs to be
implementation/device specific.

The spec could say in "7. Interaction with Mouse Events" that:
If the implementation interprets touchstart (possible followed by
touchmove events) and touchend events as a tap, it should dispatch
mousedown, mouseup and click events to the
same event target on which touchend was dispatched.

(+grammar fixes :) )

>   -Mobile Google Docs takes advantage of this by placing a textarea under
> your click
>   -It would also be nice to prevent the click, say with a preventDefault() on
> the touchend.
This is handled in Issue-4