W3C home > Mailing lists > Public > public-webevents@w3.org > October to December 2010

Draft minutes: 8 December 2010 voice conf

From: Arthur Barstow <art.barstow@nokia.com>
Date: Wed, 08 Dec 2010 15:44:56 -0500
Message-ID: <4CFFEE48.6080303@nokia.com>
To: "public-webevents@w3.org" <public-webevents@w3.org>
The draft minutes from the December 8 voice conference are available at 
the following and copied below:

  http://www.w3.org/2010/12/08-webevents-minutes.html

WG Members - if you have any comments, corrections, etc., please send 
them to the public-webevents mail list before January 11 (the next voice 
conference); otherwise these minutes will be considered Approved.

-Art Barstow

    [1]W3C

       [1] http://www.w3.org/

                                - DRAFT -

                       Web Events Voice Conference

08 Dec 2010

    [2]Agenda

       [2] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-webevents/2010OctDec/0009.html

    See also: [3]IRC log

       [3] http://www.w3.org/2010/12/08-webevents-irc

Attendees

    Present
           Art_Barstow, Josh_Soref, Sangwhan_Moon, Cathy_Chan,
           Dzung_Tran, Olli_Pettay, Matt_Brubeck, Doug_Schepers

    Regrets
           Anders_Höckersten

    Chair
           Art

    Scribe
           Art

Contents

      * [4]Topics
          1. [5]Review and Tweak the Agenda
          2. [6]Introductions
          3. [7]Work Mode
          4. [8]Charter
          5. [9]Use Cases and requirements
          6. [10]Landscape
          7. [11]Any other Business
      * [12]Summary of Action Items
      _________________________________________________________

    <scribe>  ScribeNick: ArtB

    <scribe>  Scribe: Art

    <cchan4>  aabb is cathy

    <timeless>  Zakim: aabb is cathy

Review and Tweak the Agenda

    AB: I sent a draft agenda to the list on December 2 (
    [13]http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-webevents/2010OctDec/
    0009.html ). Any change requests?
    ... I realize the time is not convenient for some time zones and we
    can discuss that during the Any Other Business (AOB) agenda item.

      [13] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-webevents/2010OctDec/0009.html

Introductions

    AB: we can take a few minutes for introductions. At a minimum,
    please say "hi" so we can start to recognize peoples' voices; would
    also be good to know if you are a newcomer/newbie to W3C (or not).

    DS: I work for W3C
    ... I expect to be an Editor
    ... I helped create this WG

    JS: I work for Nokia on Mozilla
    ... been in WebApps for a while

    SM: I work for Opera
    ... mostly on TV
    ... but previously on mobile
    ... and DOM kinetics stuff
    ... He's work out of Korea

    OP: I work for Mozilla
    ... I also participate in WebApps, HTML and speech

    CC: I work for Nokia
    ... I'm new in W3C

    DT: I go by "Tran"
    ... been in W3C for a couple of years
    ... HTML and DAP
    ... work in mobile space
    ... browser for Intel

    MB: I work for Mozilla on mobile FF
    ... fennec is the name of the project

Work Mode

    AB: want to spend just a couple of minutes re the WG's Work Mode
    which is documented in (
    [14]http://www.w3.org/2010/webevents/wiki/WorkMode ).
    ... this WG's Work Mode is based on the way the WebApps WG does its
    technical work which is mostly via e-mail. This is very different
    from a lot of W3C WGs and other Standards Organizations.
    ... one of my "pet peeves" is meetings for the sake of meetings so
    we will only have meetings when there is a relatively clear need to
    do so.
    ... the one point I want to emphasize is that Editors have
    significant freedom when writing a spec so if a spec is important to
    you, you should follow the latest Editor's Draft.

      [14] http://www.w3.org/2010/webevents/wiki/WorkMode

    DS: we use commit first and then review
    ... Editors write the spec
    ... then expect people to read it from CVS
    ... but we will only formally publish a spec after the group has had
    a chance to review it
    ... If you find a problem with an Editor's Draft (ED), you will
    always have time to raise issues
    ... I edit D3E spec
    ... but am not an expert when it comes to touch interface events
    ... as such, I am hoping to get inputs and content from other WG
    members
    ... I definitely want to hear about other approaches

    AB: any questions?

    JS: are we going to use CVS or Hg?

    DS: we will probably use Mercurial
    ... I haven't used Mercurial
    ... but if that's what people want, then that's what I'll do

    JS: I can help as can others from Mozilla

    AB: we use an explicit Call for Consensus e-mail to gather input on
    consensus for some issue or question
    ... e.g "CfC to publish a document"

    DS: to help move things quickly, I propose over the next month or so
    that I put together a draft or two
    ... one for touch interface
    ... and the other for higher-level stuff
    ... I propose I start on those docs as soon as possible
    ... Does that seem reasonable?

    DT: what do you mean by "high level"

    DS: things like "undo" or "zoom"
    ... but not touch-start
    ... or "pinch" which is a gesture

    DT: where do UCs come into play?

    SM: Tran asked the same question I was going to ask
    ... is the plan to merge these two specs?

    DS: I think keeping them separate makes sense
    ... the higher intentional events need to work with different
    modalities
    ... but the split or not is a bit premature and I want to listen to
    other's input
    ... but think it will help during bootstrapping

Charter

    AB: before we move to UCs, Reqs, Landscape, ... want to take a quick
    look at what the charter states as in scope (
    [15]http://www.w3.org/2010/webevents/charter/#scope ) and what is
    explicitly Out of Scope (
    [16]http://www.w3.org/2010/webevents/charter/#out-of-scope )
    ... Doug wrote the charter so I'd like him to briefly talk about
    scope

      [15] http://www.w3.org/2010/webevents/charter/#scope
      [16] http://www.w3.org/2010/webevents/charter/#out-of-scope

    DS: the out of scope constraint is because of concerns about
    Intellectual Property
    ... The charter describes 4 layers
    ... physical, gestural, representational and intentional
    ... Physical: about a user doing something directly
    ... Gestural: physical action e.g. two fingers that move together;
    these events are not in scope
    ... gestures like pinch are common on various devices
    ... Representational: the highest level of abstraction in the event
    model; e.g. zooming in, panning
    ... Intentional: defines what the user "intended" to do
    ... e.g. "the user intended to zoom in/out"
    ... In scope: Physical + Representational
    ... for example, can zoom in thru different physical actions
    ... in some devices, physical events can be different than other
    devices
    ... We need to define these two separately
    ... I think it is OK if we talk about gestures

    <timeless>  proscriptive :)

    DS: but we can't define then in a prescriptive or normative way
    ... the W3C Patent Policy defines the framework for normative text
    ... If we talk about gestures, we must do so in a non-normative way
    ... For example, gestures can be included in a non-normative
    Landscape document
    ... A normative definition of gestures is explicitly out of scope

    AB: any comments on this?

    DT: so the specs will deal with which levels?

    DS: one for Physical and one spec for Representational

    <smaug_>
    [17]http://www.w3.org/MarkUp/Forms/Group/Drafts/1.1/intent-based-eve
    nts.html

      [17] http://www.w3.org/MarkUp/Forms/Group/Drafts/1.1/intent-based-events.html

    <shepazu>  [18]http://www.w3.org/2010/webevents/wiki/Landscape

      [18] http://www.w3.org/2010/webevents/wiki/Landscape

    DS: look at the Intent Based Events spec
    ... it was done in 2003
    ... I anticipate us defining something like these events
    ... for example, undo, drag
    ... some of these could be modal depending on the context or mode

    DT: is Apple on this call

    AB: the WG participants are:
    [19]http://www.w3.org/2000/09/dbwg/details?group=45559&public=1

      [19] http://www.w3.org/2000/09/dbwg/details?group=45559&public=1

    DS: it's possible that as we proceed, we may be able to get other
    Members
    ... to join as they see where we are headed

Use Cases and requirements

    AB: Cathy sent some use cases and Requirements to the list on
    November 18 (
    [20]http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-webevents/2010OctDec/
    0005.html )
    ... any comments on Cathy's input?
    ... please send comments as well as other UCs and Reqs inputs to the
    list. For the purposes of gathering this type of non-normative data,
    I don't think our charter constrains our scope.

      [20] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-webevents/2010OctDec/0005.html

    JS: re Cathy's input, it mentions "tactile" and I don't think that
    is in scope

    DS: the charter is silent on that
    ... I think we can talk about it

    <cchan4>  That's correct.

    <cchan4>  It's not supposed to be there.

    <cchan4>  I'll remove it and repost.

    AB: we should consider that part of Cathy's input as void
    ... it wasn't meant to be included

    DS: so you want to exclude it?

    AB: yes we want to exclude it because we are pursuing that in the
    CSS WG

    DS: If the CSS WG is going to define a haptics module, we should
    make sure we talk to them

    AB: I agree with that

    <timeless>  [ DS is asking for a liason ]

    AB: anything else on UCs and Reqs for today?

    DS: I want to encourage people to submit more UCs and reqs
    ... the more data we have and the earlier on, the better

Landscape

    AB: Doug created a Landscape wiki (
    [21]http://www.w3.org/2010/webevents/wiki/Landscape ) that includes
    links to relevant resources.

      [21] http://www.w3.org/2010/webevents/wiki/Landscape

    DS: I would like to start on one doc right away
    ... want to talk about two things:
    ... 1) does anyone object to me starting on the first doc?
    ... 2) does anyone object to two docs?

    <timeless>  I do not object to two documents; and I support two
    documents being developed concurrently now

    DS: first, does anyone object me starting to edit right away?

    <sangwhan>  I support parallel editing of the two

    AB: I hear no objections

    <smaug_>  I agree, two documents sounds good

    DS: also want to know if anyone wants to help?

    <timeless>  help how? :)

    OP: you mean, does anyone have the time :-)

    <timeless>  eek

    DS: looking for a co-editor

    <timeless>  i'll gladly review, and if you don't mind using a
    piratepad or googledocs for interim bits, i can do some live edits
    with you

    RESOLUTION: the group supports Doug starting an Editor's Draft of
    the spec right away

    <sangwhan>  I would be willing to co-edit

    DS: the 2nd question, are there any objections to starting with 2
    specs (and possibly merging in the future)?

    AB: No objections made

    RESOLUTION: the group agrees Doug can start with two specs now

    AB: who is willing to help with the editing

    <sangwhan>  I will need to internally check with our other contacts
    who are not present here at the moment

    DS: this isn't a one-time shot; in the future editorial help can be
    added too

    AB: it's good to see Doug is ready to go!

    DS: want to get us started right away

    AB: that's excellent

Any other Business

    AB: how about a voice conf?

    DS: I like them because they help with organizing the work
    ... I don't see an immediate need for one that we need to schedule
    now

    AB: people should contribute to the wiki docs like the Landscape

    DS: agree; want this to be a group effort
    ... if there are other docs, I'd like to get them

    AB: yes, I have some resources I'll add to the Landscape doc

    DS: we must have broad support to make this work

    JS: want to talk about time slot

    DS: this can be challenging

    AB: this can be real difficult
    ... think we need a poll

    <scribe>  ACTION: barstow work with Doug on a voice conference time
    of day that works for most people [recorded in
    [22]http://www.w3.org/2010/12/08-webevents-minutes.html#action01]

    <trackbot>  Created ACTION-1 - Work with Doug on a voice conference
    time of day that works for most people [on Arthur Barstow - due
    2010-12-15].

    JS: is this a bad time for anyone?
    ... it is good for me

    SM: it starts at 05:00 in Korea

    OP: this is a good time for me too

    DS: Sangwhan, would earlier to better for you?
    ... like 3 hours earlier?

    <timeless>  yes

    SM: 2 hours would be better and 3 hours even better

    AB: and 2-3 hours earlier for the FI guys?

    JS: ok

    OP: ok

    AB: 2-3 hours would be preferred for me

    DS: so if 3 hours earlier, then 11:00 Boston

    <timeless>  that makes it 8am cali

    <timeless>  or seattle

    DS: FI would be 18:00
    ... Seattle would 08:00
    ... Korea would be 01:00

    <timeless>  so, i guess my s/// earlier was wrong, sorry

    AB: ok, so next call would be 3 hours earlier

    <cchan4>  Not for me

    DS: and the Day of Week?

    <cchan4>  Wednesday doesn't work for me for 11am Boston

    AB: is this day a problem for anyone?
    ... understood Cathy

    <cchan4>  Any other day is fine

    <timeless>  fridays don't work for me in the winter

    JS: the agenda should include all of the timezones

    DS: what about Tuesday?

    AB: anyone objections to Tuesday?
    ... No objections raised

    RESOLUTION: voice conferences on Tuesdays 11:00 Boston is acceptable

    DS: how about Jan 11 for next conf?

    AB: any objections?
    ... None heard
    ... next call is Jan 11 @ 11:00 Boston time
    ... Meeting Adjourned

Summary of Action Items

    [NEW] ACTION: barstow work with Doug on a voice conference time of
    day that works for most people [recorded in
    [23]http://www.w3.org/2010/12/08-webevents-minutes.html#action01]

    [End of minutes]
Received on Wednesday, 8 December 2010 20:45:26 GMT

This archive was generated by hypermail 2.2.0+W3C-0.50 : Wednesday, 8 December 2010 20:45:27 GMT