Re: Introduction

Hi, folks-

I'm Doug Schepers, a W3C employee who is helping to manage the SVG,
WebApps, and Web Events Working Groups.  I'm the current editor of some
SVG specs and the DOM3 Events spec, and I expect to be one of the
co-editors of the Web Events spec or specs.

I agree with Art that describing the current landscape, even for things
list in the charter as out of scope, is a reasonable path forward.
Regarding the 4-layer model detailed in the charter, while I believe
that to be useful background to set the stage, I didn't intend it as a
concrete starting point for the specs themselves.

I have received several comments offlist that favor the WebKit
implementation of touch interface events, if only because it is one of
the more common.  For example, PPK has suggested this explicitly, along
with some additions [1]; I don't know if there are any IP
considerations, however.  I'd be interested in different technical opinions.

With regards to the higher-level events, I've started documenting some
previous work there, too [2].

I think it might be good for us to have an initial teleconference to
start the work rolling.

[1] http://www.quirksmode.org/mobile/advisoryTouch.html
[2] http://www.w3.org/2010/webevents/wiki/Landscape

Regards-
-Doug Schepers
W3C Team Contact, SVG, WebApps, and Web Events WGs