Re: Prototype teaching materials for review

See below...

Chris Mills wrote:

> On 30 Apr 2012, at 16:42, Virginia DeBolt wrote:
>
>> Chris,
>> This looks more like a set of materials for the Foundations class than for
>> the Web Design I class. Or perhaps it's a little of both. If a mix of both
>> is the case, the first part of the page could be a module for the
>> Foundations class, the last part of the page (starting from "Set up a site
>> folder") could be a module for the Web Design I class.
>
> I got the list of points to cover from the "HTML Basics and Web Standards
> Concepts" learning module of web design 1 - see
> http://www.w3.org/community/webed/wiki/Interact/Web_Design_1#HTML_Basics.2C_We
> b_Standards_Concepts, so really this is aimed at Web Design 1, rather than
> Foundations. The current list of learner competencies for this learning module
> is
>
> Create a site folder
>  Identify the appropriate use of attributes and the syntax of attributes
>  Recognize the difference between HTML and XHTML
>  Identify the various DOCTYPES
>  Explain the need for web standards
>  Identify deprecated tags.

Oh. I see where you got started, now.

> I felt that this list needed a little fleshing out, so the list of
> competencies I eventually wrote up was
>
> Explain what web standards are, and why they are needed
>  Know what files comprise a web site
>  Create a site folder
>  Understand the anatomy of an HTML element ‹ tags, content, attributes
>  Understand what an empty element is
>  Identify the appropriate use of attributes and the syntax of attributes
>  Recognize the difference between HTML and XHTML
>  Identify the various DOCTYPES, including HTML5
>  Identify deprecated tags
>  Know the structure of a basic HTML page
>
> Do you agree with this list, or am I over-egging this somewhat?

There's nothing wrong with the list as far as I'm concerned. You have
elaborated on every item in great detail. Is that what you picture for every
one of the courses? This level of suggested teaching material and detail?

I've been stumped as to what more needed doing to the Web Design I course,
but if you're aiming for this amount of guidance for each point, then I
understand a lot better what you are asking for.

> And do you think it is the best idea to make a set of resources for each
> learning competency? I thought it better to make them pretty granular, so
> educators can pick and choose as they need.
>
> Last point - there is nothing to stop us reusing some of this material to make
> some other education resources for other modules. so we can chop and change.
>

>> Do you plan to link to the materials from somewhere in the curriculum page
>> or to add them into the curriculum page?
>>

> I was planning to at least link them from the curriculum pages, but again,
> this is up for discussion, as to what is best.
>

>> Chris Mills wrote:
>>
>>> Hello, fellow web ed folk,
>>>
>>> It has been a long time coming, but I've finally finished creating a
>>> prototype
>>> set of teaching material for one of the learning modules in the Web Design 1
>>> curriculum.
>>>
>>> See here for what I've done so far:
>>>
>>> http://www.w3.org/community/webed/wiki/HTML_Basics_and_Web_Standards_Concept
>>> s_
>>> teaching_materials
>>>
>>> Please, give me feedback - what content is missing? How useful is this to
>>> educators? how could it be improved?
>>>
>>> Feel free to also give it a proof read.
>>>
>>> My work here is done for now. Have a good weekend all!
>>>
>>> Chris Mills
>>> Open standards evangelist and dev.opera.com editor, Opera Software
>>> Co-chair, web education community group, W3C
>>>
>>> * Try Opera: http://www.opera.com
>>> * Learn about the latest open standards technologies and techniques:
>>> http://dev.opera.com
>>> * Contribute to web education: http://www.w3.org/community/webed/

>> Virginia DeBolt
>>
>> Author: http://vdebolt.com/