Re: Moving forward with web education work

On 27 Jan 2012, at 15:48, Jeremie Patonnier wrote:

> Hello,
>
> In order to help improve this initiative I will share some thought with you.
>
> Most of the people in here are ok to participate but it is done mostly on their free time (at least, this is my case). Unfortunately, free time is an expensive ressources. As a consequence, even if managing things harder will improve things, I don't thing it will change things dramatically.

I really do appreciate how expensive free time is. I am currently spending most of my free time writing a CSS3 book, as well as putting some tie aside to write materials for this project. I really don't have any ;-)

> For people who it is not a full time job to get involved in this project, I wonder if it could be beneficiant to help them pointing out how this project could benefit to them directly. I really think we all agreed that this
> project is good for the Web in the long term and good for education, and good to have better web sites all around, and bla, bla, bla. Ok, this is nice, but this is bullshit (sorry to say that that hard, but it's true). The reality is that when people take free time to get involved in a project they have to find why there are getting involved for themselves. If they found a personal benefit in acting for a project, they will become more active and more efficient. Some do it for recognition, some do it for being able to use the material, some do it because it's a way to meet smart people from Opera (^_^), etc.

ha!

I think you are spot on here Jeremie - I will think about this some more, and write up some resources for people to look at when considering why the project would be good for them to be involved in, and what they would get out of it.

> I really think that if the project helps people to reach their own goal it will help the project in a more global way.
>
> So I ask you the question : what motivates you in that project?

I am here because I really care about the evolution of the web, and believe education is one of the biggest parts of this. If we can make web education better, we will improve the web in so many ways - overall quality, accessibility, usability, team work, adoption of new techniques, etc.

I am very lucky that I am able to spend some of my Opera time working on this, although it often spills into my free time because 8 hours a day to do everything is never enough!

From an Opera point of view, it is great PR for Opera to be involved, plus improving the web like I describe above helps Opera to uphold some of their central values.