Re: Moving forward with web education work

thanks Seb - I appreciate your reply! More soon.

Chris Mills
Open standards evangelist and dev.opera.com editor, Opera Software
Co-chair, web education community group, W3C

* Try Opera: http://www.opera.com
* Learn about the latest open standards technologies and techniques: http://dev.opera.com
* Contribute to web education: http://www.w3.org/community/webed/

On 27 Jan 2012, at 11:36, Sébastien Desbenoit wrote:

> Hi Chris,
>
> My company gave me a few hours to work more on web ed. IMHO, a little dose of micro management will be great !
>
> Best regards,
>
> Seb
>

> Le 27 janv. 2012 à 11:51, Chris Mills a écrit :
>
>> Wow, I am quite surprised by the deafening silence after this mail - only one person replied.
>>
>> I think I will take the silence as an agreement that I need to micro manage this a bit more, and start handing out more specific tasks to people.
>>
>> I will start contacting you individually and asking you how much time you currently have, and how much you would be prepared to do. in the near future. Again, I appreciate that most people here are doing this in their own time, so I will be gentle with you ;-)
>>
>> Best regards, and please get in touch if you have any questions or worries.
>>
>> thanks,
>>
>> Chris
>>
>> On 13 Jan 2012, at 14:21, Chris Mills wrote:
>>
>>> Hello all!
>>>
>>> I hope the new year is treating you well.
>>>
>>> Today I wanted to discuss something important with you - moving forward with this whole project, and the best way to do so.
>>>
>>> I think it is becoming clear that the way I have tried to run this so far has not been very successful - people are finding it hard to engage and contribute. Some people have told me this explicitly. So, how best to proceed?
>>>
>>> Broadly what we want out of this is:
>>>
>>> 1. Useful discussions pertaining to web education
>>> 2. Sharing and development of ideas/methodologies that will be useful to educators and students
>>> 3. Creation and sharing of learning resources, including tutorials, references and curricula.
>>> 4. Outreach to as many relevant educators and students as possible, so they can all benefit
>>> 5. [Add your own, if you think I've missed anything]
>>>
>>> At the moment the tools we have available are mailing lists and a Wiki, pretty much, plus the usual communication tools we use every day. What I would most like to do in the short term is:
>>>
>>> 1. Get people writing/updating/editing/proof reading learning material and curricula
>>> 2. Get people working on outreach initiatives to spread the world about this material