From: "Chris Mills" <cmills@opera.com>
To: public-webed@w3.org
Sent: Monday, February 27, 2012 2:35:01 PM
Subject: Activity summary, 27th February 2012

Hi all,

I have decided to start listing activity done by the group every couple of weeks or so so we can all see what we're up to ;-)

Thanks to all contributors for your great work.

Learning material planning
------------------------------------

1. Sébastien Desbenoit has written a great outline for an update of the "web design concepts" section http://www.w3.org/community/webed/wiki/Learning_material#Update_web_design_concepts_section.

2. Suzette Keith, Shawn Henry, and other WAI/EOWG members are going to start writing a proposal for an update of the accessibility section. Thanks!

3. Schalk Neethling, myself and Brennan Young have been collaborating on writing an outline for an update to the JavaScript section.

Let me know if you are interested in writing any of this stuff. Otherwise I'll start handing out tasks soon

Learning material writing
----------------------------------

1. The last new article I wrote was http://www.w3.org/community/webed/wiki/CSS_text_styling_part_1, and it has been a while since that. I will start writing more soon. In the meantime, please start writing parts of the sections detailed above.

2. Mark DuBois has done a fantastic job of proof reading a lot of the articles I've already updated, and suggesting improvements.

Outreach
------------

1. Anna Brandt and Alexander Dawson have been working on planning and materials for outreach. More to share soon.

2. Ankit Bahuguna wrote a great summary of the web development university event he ran in India - http://www.w3.org/community/webed/wiki/Outreach#Outreach_Activity_at_ACEIT.2C_Jaipur.2C_India

Publishing platform
--------------------------

The Eventual publishing platform for all this material is still being worked out by W3C, but we are getting closer to a solution. More on this soon.

Translations
-----------------

1. Spanish and French interest - There have been a number of people talking to me about interest in creating French and Spanish translations. Please if you are interested, grab material and start translating! Create new pages for your translations to go on, according to the rules at, and link to them here:

http://www.w3.org/community/webed/wiki/French_international_project
http://www.w3.org/community/webed/wiki/Spanish_and_Catalan_international_project

Bear in mind that a lot of the articles have already been translated into Spanish and Catalan by the UOC - see http://mosaic.uoc.edu/ac/le/es/ and http://mosaic.uoc.edu/ac/le/ca/. We really need to get those transferred over to the W3C pages, then we should start to update them to modernise them!

2. Croatian - Ana Amelio has bene working on some translations and looking to get together a Croatian team together to do translations.

3. Turkish - The Opera Turkiye guys have done an amazing job - just look at http://www.w3.org/community/webed/wiki/Turkish_international_project!

That's it for now, give me a slap if I have forgotten anyone.

Chris Mills
Open standards evangelist and dev.opera.com editor, Opera Software
Co-chair, web education community group, W3C

* Try Opera: http://www.opera.com
* Learn about the latest open standards technologies and techniques: http://dev.opera.com
* Contribute to web education: http://www.w3.org/community/webed/