Re: Teaching the fourth r: webmaking as a vital 21st century skill

From: Chris Mills <cmills@opera.com>
Date: Mon, 20 Feb 2012 18:04:45 +0000
Cc: public-webed@w3.org
To: Janet Swisher <jswisher@mozilla.com>
It's a shame I missed this (I was on vacation). I completely agree with the salient point here. You can teach technology syntax and graphic design skills until you are blue in the face, but people still won't get it unless they really start to get how to solve a problem with CSS or JavaScript. But how to teach that in any kind of sane way? From my experience, to get into this mindset it takes a good few years of experience, messing around with the technologies, and looking at what others have already done.

Thoughts?

Chris Mills
Open standards evangelist and dev.opera.com editor, Opera Software
Co-chair, web education community group, W3C

* Try Opera: http://www.opera.com
* Learn about the latest open standards technologies and techniques: http://dev.opera.com
* Contribute to web education: http://www.w3.org/community/webed/