Re: Restructuring of the learning material Wiki

D'you, I know you are right!

The main reason I was thinking of it as a separate course is because I was asked by a university in Mexico to produce material for a course on mobile development, and I thought it was a nice idea to create this course and make it available to all on W3C. But we could still achieve both. We could bake our cross device principles into our learning material, but also create a cross device development curriculum that brings together the different appropriate elements form the learnin material as required.

See below for the current suggestion for the mobile course, along with notes on how they possibly be incorporated into the main series of articles.

The basics

Mobile beginnings: An introduction to the mobile web (include history of mobiles, how mobile networks work, what the hardware looks like, what the software looks like)  - THIS IS POSSIBLE A BIT OUT OF SCOPE, AND COULD BE DITCHED

What do the devices look like? (a fairly detailed reference showing the types of devices you are likely to need to support when building cross device adaptive apps) - THIS IS POSSIBLY OUT OF SCOPE, AND COULD BE DITCHED

Mobile constraints and advantages (what are the constraints you need to work around for alternative browsing devices? What are the advantages, eg the context specific technologies you can take advantage of?) - THIS IS POSSIBLY OUT OF SCOPE AND COULD BE DITCHED

THE ABOVE THREE ARTICLES COULD HAVE THEIR RELEVANT MATERIAL EXTRACTED AND PUT TOGETHER INTO A SINGLE ARTICLE TITLED "ONE WEB, MANY DEVICES", PLACED INSIDE http://www.w3.org/wiki/Web_Standards_Curriculum#Introduction_to_the_world_of_web_standards

WE SHOULD ALSO SAY SOMETHING ABOUT SEMANTICS AND DIVERSE DEVICES IN http://www.w3.org/wiki/The_web_standards_model_-_HTML_CSS_and_JavaScript

Adaptive design and development

Mobile friendly: an introduction to mobile web design (start with a basis of semantic HTML, accessibility best practices are Making an app or site mobile friendly - do you create a different site, or do you adapt your existing site for mobile? A brief introduction to Adaptive design - graceful degradation, progressive enhancement, using media queries and viewport to adapt layout, using feature detection to server appropriate content and services, NOT browser sniffing!) - A LOT OF THIS CAN BE SAID IN OTHER ARTICLES, FOR EXAMPLE THE MEDIA QUERIES AND VIEWPORT ARTICLES

Designing a mobile user experience (all about context, what does the user want to do in this context, how does it differ from the desktop, etc.?) THIS CAN BE COVERED IN THE SECTION http://www.w3.org/wiki/WSC_proposed_updates#Planned_New_section_to_replace_.22Web_Design_Concepts.22_-_to_be_called_.22Planning_a_web_site.22

Optimising CSS and JavaScript for mobile  - THIS STUFF SHOULD JUSTBE SAID IN THE CSS/JS SECTIONS

Media Queries
Viewport
Adaptive layouts for mobile (apply the basics you learned in the last two) - THESE THREE CAN BE PLACED IN THE CSS SECTION - http://www.w3.org/wiki/Web_Standards_Curriculum#CSS

Device aware apps (Geolocation, etc.)  - THIS CAN BE COMBINED WITH THE GEOLOCATION ARTICLE IN http://www.w3.org/wiki/WSC_proposed_updates#HTML5_APIS

Multimedia on mobile (dealing with images, video, audio)  - I NEED TO ADD AN <AUDIO>/<VIDEO> ARTICLE TO THE http://www.w3.org/wiki/Web_Standards_Curriculum#The_HTML_body SECTION

Offline apps for mobile (web storage, AppCache, WebSQL) - CAN BE ADDED TO THE http://www.w3.org/wiki/WSC_proposed_updates#HTML5_APIS SECTION

Putting together a mobile testing suite - NOT SURE ABOUT WHERE TO PUT THIS ONE.

OTHER ARTICLE SUGGESTIONS:

* WE'D PROBABLY BETTER INCLUDE AN ARTICLE ON FEATURE DETECTION, POLYFILLING, AND OTHER MODERN CROSS BROWSER TECHNIQUES

ANY OTHER THOUGHTS - WHAT DO YOU THINK?