Re: Curriculum

On 19 Oct 2011, at 14:45, Andrew Cooper wrote:

> Would I be able to join the Curriculum Project as a Contributor?

consider it done:

http://www.w3.org/community/webed/curriculum/

> My first question is: Will the curriculum consist exclusively of W3C standards or will it also contain courses / modules / learning material about other standards and other subjects that are directly related to Web design and development? ES / JavaScript, Web Design Fundamentals, UX Design, Online Marketing, eCommerce, etc. I would assume it would just be W3C standards, but just asking for confirmation really.
>

> I know that Chris Mills worked on the WaSP InterACT Curriculum so would the W3C Web Standards Curriculum be similar in some way to the structure of the WaSP Interact Curriculum? Internet Foundations / Fundamentals, Front-End Development (Which should encompass not only HTML and CSS but also JS), Design (Graphic design for the Web, UX design, UI design, etc.), Back-End Development (PHP, MySQL, ASP.NET, Ruby on Rails, etc. Although I take it the W3C Web Standards Curriculum wouldn't take on Back-End Web Development?), and Professional Practice...? Or would it be much different or somewhat different?
>

> What's the current plan for the curriculum as a whole? How will each course / module / unit be split up and what will be placed where? Do we know what technologies / standards / subjects the W3C WSC will cover?

The approach for our curriculum/educator material will be a pragmatic one, and will be based on the WaSP InterACT curriculum structure. the core will definitely be w3c standards, but we will be covering as much material as we can, and as far as it makes sense to do so for educator's needs. So for example PHP is not a standard as such (although I found this while searching for information: http://www.dagbladet.no/development/phpcodingstandard/ - interesting!), but it is a very widely used technology in web development, so should be included.

We are currently negotiating with WaSP about hosting a licensed version of WaSP InterACT on our educational resource, which we can then add to/develop further.

Note the distinction between "Curriculum" and "Learning material":

1. Learning material - the raw articles containing learning material that anyone can use to learn web standards/design/development from, not organized into curricula, as such
2. Curriculum - course structures, learning pathways, rubrics, example exam questions, etc., with references/key learning material assembled from the Learning material (see 1.)

NOTE 2 - We are currently devising a plan for our learning material, covering where it will be hosted, how it will be contributed to, what the seed material will be to get it started, branding, what system it will run on, etc.

We will open this up to public scrutiny very soon.