Re: Licensing: feedback wanted

On 30 Nov 2011, at 17:55, Richard D. Worth wrote:

> On Wed, Nov 30, 2011 at 12:17 PM, Doug Schepers <schepers@w3.org> wrote:
> Hi, folks-
>

> On 11/30/11 11:15 AM, Chris Mills wrote:
> On 30 Nov 2011, at 15:50, Richard D. Worth wrote:
>

> On Wed, Nov 30, 2011 at 9:16 AM, Chris Mills <cmills@opera.com
> <mailto:cmills@opera.com>> wrote:
>

>    On 30 Nov 2011, at 13:35, Richard D. Worth wrote:
>

>    On Wed, Nov 30, 2011 at 8:18 AM, Karl Dubost <karld@opera.com
>    <mailto:karld@opera.com>> wrote:
>

>        Le 30 nov. 2011 à 07:36, Chris Mills a écrit :
>        > shall we go with by-sa. or just by? I think by-sa is best,
>        as I worry what would happen to our material if we didn't
>        include SA. We want the material and any evolution of it to
>        be open, surely?
>

>        We have a very similar case here. We want the content to be
>        widespread by people and reused be it in a commercial context
>        and/or an open context. As long as the source stays open,
>        people have always the possibility to use it. It's why I'm in
>        favor of CC-BY
>

>    If we were authoring all the content ourselves, I think I could
>    be in complete agreement, as CC-BY is most analogous to a
>    permissive code license, such as MIT or BSD, which have shown to
>    permit sufficient adoption and use (surely due in large part to
>    their simplicity) amongst all the most popular JavaScript
>    libraries for example (the software I'm most familiar with
>    writing and licensing).
>
>    However, deciding to license our content CC-BY would preclude us
>    from using any content from MDN, as just one example. Is that
>    worth it? I'm not sure it is.
>
>    This is not necessarily the case - a licensor can waive certain
>    license conditions if they see fit. And we are intending to talk
>    to the different content holders about using their content on the
>    site, rather than just using it and not telling them. This needed
>    for etiquette and goodwill to be maintained.
>

> Great!
>

>    Of course, we could perhaps go with CC-BY-SA but then state
>    clearly in the license material that if you want to use our
>    material in a commercial project of some kind but don't want to
>    put it under the same license, then contact us and we will review
>    your particular case - if we approve then we will waive the -SA-
>    condition?
>

> We'd only be in a position to grant such a waiver if we had lined up
> waivers from the above content holders. If we go through that effort,
> I'd be just as happy having our license be CC-By from the start, but
> if there were an overwhelming majority that wanted CC-By-SA as the
> default and CC-By as an exception, I agree, this is a good way forward.
>
> Thanks for your further feedback. I think this is going to be the
> problem in the end with this kind of solution - constantly worrying
> about whether we have all the permissions we need to make sure waivers
> and changes dynamically.
>
> I think I am still leaning towards CC-BY, as long as it doesn't create
> [...]

+1 - thanks Doug for being the lord of awesome ;-)

I especially your offer to write the licensing content up - you are better at this stuff than I.

BTW, earlier when I said "I think I am still leaning towards CC-BY" I meant to say "I think I am now leaning towards CC-BY", just in case that confused anyone earlier!