Re: [W3C Web Crypto WG] Our call today @ 20:00 UTC

On 09/28/2015 10:47 AM, Charles Engelke wrote:
> On Mon, Sep 28, 2015 at 10:11 AM, Boris Zbarsky <bzbarsky@mit.edu> wrote:
>> The point is, a spec that has fewer than two implementations can't proceed
>> to the Recommendation stage.  So the unimplemented parts either need to get
>> dropped from the spec or implemented to make progress here.
> I take your point. But perhaps we should give vendors a bit more time,
> especially if Apple is ready to move forward again.
>
> Also, both PBKDF2 with SHA-1 and AES-CTR are implemented in both
> Chrome and Firefox on Windows. I just checked them using the test page
> at https://diafygi.github.io/webcrypto-examples/.

Testing for Chrome/Linux was done on Mac and Linux, except for Edge
which was done on Windows. Since the crypto varies per platform (thus
differences in the underlying implementation it appears for Chrome), we
can as a Working Group decide to expand to per-operating-system
coverage. I will discuss with PLH (who will be approving our algorithm
choice) what his opinion is of the per-operating coverage is and how
this effects both "browser profile" (a sort of unique features I think
of WebCrypto) and implementation checks.

I'm happy to redo- the table. In terms of operating systems, we have
Linux, MacOS, Windows, Android, and iOS. We'd have to set base-lines
(i.e. 64 bit vs 32 bit, latest *stable* version, etc.). Again, the table
is just a high-level summary to guide editing the document so we can get
out of CR per W3C's request when we entered CR.

If someone or a group of people want to help manufacture tests ala
testthewebforward.org-style, that would be great, and I'm happy to help,
but I'm not doing that all by myself.

In terms of Apple, I've emailed in the past and will e-mail in the
future, but their policy is not to comment on future work (We can only
hope!). I did check with W3C management and dropping the prefix is
required.

  yours,
      harry