Re: Browser Profile Proposal: Testing implementations for algorithm coverage

20 сент. 2015 г., в 17:36, Harry Halpin <hhalpin@w3.org> написал(а):

> On 09/20/2015 03:37 PM, Alexey Proskuryakov wrote:
>> Hello Harry,
>>
>>> 14 сент. 2015 г., в 12:43, Harry Halpin <hhalpin@w3.org> написал(а):
>>>
>>> Apple has been left out
>>> until they remove the webkitSubtle prefix and replace it per spec with
>>> 'subtle', which has been communicated to them.
>> Could you please clarify why this precludes testing?
>
> We can't have browser developers "checking" to see if they are using
> Apple's special prefix. We're happy to test, but we'd prefer you guys to
> hurry up and promise to remove the webkitSubtile prefix. Can you do that?

WebKit's implementation is known to be based on an older version of the spec which is not compatible with the current one, and I think that it's a good idea to have that detectable from JavaScript. Notably, a developer has a way of knowing that HmacKeyParams.length uses different units - situations like this is exactly what vendor prefixes are for.

WebKit's implementation is real, it ships in real products (and was among the first WebCrypto implementations), so it feels strange to have it excluded based on a technicality. This e-mail thread in particular discusses something that is in no way related to having a prefix - the list of supported algorithms wouldn't change upon removing it.

- Alexey