Re: Browser Profile Proposal: Testing implementations for algorithm coverage

On Mon, Sep 14, 2015 at 12:43 PM, Harry Halpin <hhalpin@w3.org> wrote:

> Right now we have implementation across all major browsers, and a good
> subset of interop for the "browser profile" - see table below (a
> simplified version of our testing results). Apple has been left out
> until they remove the webkitSubtle prefix and replace it per spec with
> 'subtle', which has been communicated to them.
>
> Effectively, the place where *all 3 browsers* seem to converge:
>
> Browser Profile (All three browsers support): RSASSA-PKCS1-v1_5,
> RSA-OAEP, AES-CBC, AES-GCM, AES-GCM, AES-KW, HMAC, SHA-256, SHA-384,
> SHA-512
> Two implementations but not three: SHA-1
> Keep in Spec but not in Browser Profile (at least one implementation):
> ECDSA, ECDH, AES-CTR, PBKDF2, DH

Remove from spec? (no implementations): RSA-PSS, AES-CMAC, AES-CFB,
> CONCAT, HKDF-CTR

I am not entirely sure how to read the pasted table, since the formatting
it weird.

But note that Chrome implements RSA-PSS, as well as HKDF (rather than
HKDF-CTR)

I assume these tests were carried out using Chrome 45 for Linux, which
doesn't support all the algorithms.

Next month Chrome 46 should become the stable version, and the algorithm
support on Linux will match that of the other Chrome platforms. Hence I
think a more accurate view would be to test using either Chrome 45 on a
non-Linux platform, or Chrome 46.

I am assuming there are no planned changes from browser vendors to their