Re: [W3C Web Crypto WG] about progressing quickly on key format --> please answer before

On 2015-12-08 13:22, Charles Engelke wrote:
> We currently use both the spki and pkcs8 key export/import formats in
> code that is intended for production use in the near future. If they
> are dropped we will have to manipulate the data to and from JWK
> format. We can do that, but we'd rather have as much crypto code be in
> the API, not our application, as possible.
>
> I hope that other user agent developers speak up on this. The only one
> I've seen is Google, and they are willing to support #1. We'd have to
> infer that the others' silence means that they won't support it, but
> it would be nice to at least hear that directly if it's the case.

Agreed. I'm really hoping the other UA agents chime in.

However, in order to support such code-bases that use the
non-interoperable spki and pkcs8 formats, I would not recommend existing
browsers *deprecate*, but that it simply be removed from the current
spec *and* that cross-browser pkcs8/spki interop with WebCrypto is
chartered for support in the 'maintenance mode' charter for WebCrypto
that will go into effect as soon as the current version of the API goes
to Rec. Thus, the existing non-interoperable situation is *not* accepted
and that W3C explicitly backs option (1) while recognizing it may not be
done within the next two or three months.

    cheers,
         harry

--

Harry Halpin (W3C/MIT) harry@w3.org