Re: WebCrypto Security Analysis

This thread shows that maybe someone should then ask Mozilla to change
its policy.

As explained in [1] Presentation "Why the main page is not using https",
we are forced to use http to load the main page (which then loads the js
code with https, a kind of artifice...), because we can not use ws with
https, this is far more insecured than loading the page with https and
use ws, so there is a "secure" mechanism on top of it, with a story of
keys that only the users and the server know and that are never sent,
currently this is not extraordinarly difficult to break by a MITM, and
even to retrieve the keys, we don't really care because we will remove
this, the target phase it a serverless P2P using WebRTC (whose insecure
self-signed certificates use for DTLS will be secure by the Tor
protocol) and the code is a standalone js file that can be retrieved
from third parties and that can be checked, it's unlikely that they are
all compromised.

The project is using SSL/TLS over WS (and not the contrary), that's a js
implementation, then it raises again the need of a secure SSL/TLS
implementation in WebCrypto.

In our case (like I believe in all cases) this just insures that you are
talking with the one with whom you have established the SSL/TLS
connection, which is enough, because we don't care if the anonymizer
peer is a MITM, he can only know about the first hop, not what will
happen next and it's unlikely that all the peers are MITM.

This raises again too the certificates management issue for WebCrypto,
because this goes with SSL/TLS.

Not talking about ISSUE-22 which just means that our implementation can
not be moved entirely to WebCrypto for hash.

Maybe I missed some updates, I don't know the implementation status for
Google, Mozilla and Microsoft, but maybe one point of interest for INRIA
study could be: should I move Peersm project to WebCrypto when it's there?

Of course the answer is likely to be yes, but for example why should I
trust the WebCrypto prng in browser X? What if it depends on Windows?
What is the process to make sure that browsers are implementing
WebCrypto with no possibilities of leaks?

The point here is not to restart the same discussions but if this can
give some ideas to INRIA...

Regards

Aymeric

[1] http://www.peersm.com