Re: Fwd: WebIDL usage for Algorithms

On Mar 13, 2014 11:46 AM, "Richard Barnes" <rlb@ipv.sx> wrote:

> Forwarding on behalf of Boris Zbarsky.
>
> Chairs: The "public" mailing list can only receive postings from members.
 Can we loosen this policy?

This is by design of the IPR.

public-webcrypto-comments@ allows arbitrary remarks.

> Begin forwarded message:
>
> > From: Boris Zbarsky <bzbarsky@MIT.EDU>
> > Subject: Re: WebIDL usage for Algorithms
> > Date: March 13, 2014 at 3:00:15 AM EDT
>

> > Richard asked me to comment in this thread.  My apologies for the lack
of sane threading/quoting; I wasn't subscribed to the list...

> > On Tue, Mar 11, 2014 at 3:07 PM, Mark Watson <watsonm@netflix.com>
wrote:

> >> even type mapping to IDL "any" can throw an exception.
> >
> > I believe this is incorrect.  http://heycam.github.io/webidl/#es-anydoesn't mention any cases when it would, and certainly Gecko's
implementation doesn't.

> > Converting an ES value to an IDL "object" type can in fact throw if the
passed-in value is a primitive, though.

> >> It does seem that, longer term, it would make sense for WebIDL to
> >> incorporate Promises explicitly
> >
> > It already has, in the spec.  Browser implementations may not have
caught up yet; this is a recent change.

> > For example, http://heycam.github.io/webidl/#es-operations explicitly
says that if an exception is thrown at any point during the steps defined
for the function and the return type is a promise type, then the exception
is caught and a promise rejected with that exception is returned.

> > So in your spec you should be able to just write:
> >
> >  typedef (object or DOMString) AlgorithmIdentifier;
> >
> >  Promise<any> encrypt(AlgorithmIdentifier algorithm,
> >                       Key key,
> >                       CryptoOperationData data);
> >
> > and calling encrypt would never throw per current WebIDL spec (modulo
things like out of memory exceptions, naturally; you can't exactly return a
promise in that situation).  You do NOT have to explicitly do anything with
"key" and "data" as the spec tries to do right now; they will be converted
to the relevant WebIDL types before the method returns, but any resulting
errors will be reported async via the returned promise that wraps the
thrown exception.

> > What you _will_ have to do by hand, as things stand, is to explicitly
call out when, if an object is passed, it is converted to the various
WebIDL dictionary types the specification uses.  Since conversion to a
WebIDL dictionary type can have side-effects, its ordering with other
things needs to be precisely defined to avoid creating racy behavior. Doing
it async is not the way to go, in my opinion; you want to go ahead and do
it before you create the promise and get to the "asynchronously perform the
remaining steps" bit.  That is, the "algorithm normalization" bit will
happen synchronously before the method returns, but any exceptions from it
will be reported asynchronously via the returned Promise.

> > One way to do this in your spec is probably to have an Algorithm
dictionary type that just has a "name" attribute, to have a bunch of more
specific dictionary types that do _not_ inherit from Algorithm or contain a
"name" attribute, to manually invoke the "convert to an IDL dictionary
type" algorithm from http://heycam.github.io/webidl/#es-dictionary at the
right points, and then pass (Algorithm, OtherDictionary) pairs to anything
that needs the name in addition to the information from the other
dictionary.  You _could_ make the other dictionaries inherit from
Algorithm, but then you have to worry about the getter for the "name"
property on the object not being idempotent and what your spec should do if
it returns a different value the second time around.

> > Ryan's proposal for synchronously creating a snapshot of the object
passed in seems to me to be more complicated to specify than the above, for
what it's worth, though I welcome him to prove me wrong with a concrete
proposal about how it should work.

> >> WebIDL could consider having Dictionary IDL types carry with them a
> >> reference to the original object so that downcasts are possible.
> >
> > That's true.  You have to be careful, because of the side-effects
issue, but it might be possible to do this sort of thing.  Please send mail
to public-script-coord?  I agree that dictionary inheritance is pretty
weird in WebIDL right now...