Re: WebIDL usage for Algorithms

On Tue, Mar 11, 2014 at 4:11 PM, Ryan Sleevi <sleevi@google.com> wrote:

> Mark,
>
> I do not believe we've agreed upon asynchronous for *ALL* WebIDL errors,
> which I have also previously communicated. It certainly is not what WebKit
> or Blink have implemented, and certainly not how I proposed to you that we
> resolve this.
>
> The *only* thing that needs to be asynchronous is Algorithm Normalization.
>
> As it reads, I object to the notion that all WebIDL errors are
> asynchronous, and had the WG been given sufficient time to review the spec,
> would have raised this as a LC blocking issue. This is certainly something
> that must block CR, and ideally something that would not have made it to LC.
>
> I agree with Richard that the current text highlights that we've
> functionally done the equivalent of "#define ONE -2", in that our spec does
> not match expectations - of implementors or developers who, in every other
> WebIDL using spec they read, know precisely what to expect.
>
> Richard,
>
> To make actual forward progress on this, do you agree that we can use the
> "any"/"object" type within WebIDL, combined with a strict *synchronous*
> cloning (for lack of a better term, although NOT to be confused with
> structured clone necessarily) of the object prior to returning the promise,
> and then all *future* operations happen on that cloned object.

This is exactly what I was working on implementing this afternoon.  FWIW,
my internal WebIDL uses "object".

As far as verbs: In discussing this with Boris Zbarsky, who knows WebIDL
far better than me, the verb we were using was "coerce".  Not sure if that
has any wider usage.  The WebIDL spec uses "convert", as in, "An ECMAScript
value V is converted to an IDL dictionary type value...".
<http://www.w3.org/TR/WebIDL/#es-dictionary>

--Richard