RE: Comments on RSA-PSS - March 7 Editors Draft

On Mar 7, 2014 9:21 PM, "Vijay Bharadwaj" <Vijay.Bharadwaj@microsoft.com>
wrote:

> Thanks for bringing this up, Richard.
>

> I did point out the same issue in
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-webcrypto/2014Mar/0019.html -
CNG only allows a KDF to be performed on the Z value, and this is more
secure (the bits of the secret are not unbiased so should not be used
directly). Our implementation would likely just disallow the deriveBits key
usage with ECDH and DH, and I believe that would be consistent with the
spec today.

That's a spec bug, if so.

An implementation that implements an algorithm MUST implement all the
operations - or at least, that should be the requirement. Otherwise you run
into situations where you can roach-motel the API and still be conformant -
eg: generate a key but never permit any operations with it.

The KDF issue should hardly seem a technical level blocker - you can just
use a NoOp hash provider to memoizd Z and spit it back out.

This is fundamentally functionally identical to what CNG is providing
developers today via the Alg extension method - a chance to implement any
necessary custom KDFs for the appropriate protocols. We're just exposing
this to JS - for the exact same reason CNG does: so that we don't have to
support/implement every KDF under the sun to be useful to authors.

So is the objection ideological, rather than technical? If so, how does
this square with the ability to register custom KDFs that can be fed the
secret - something both CAPI and CNG support?

> However, you do bring up a good point – the table of algorithms still
says ECDH and DH support deriveKey, but those subsections have vanished
from the relevant algorithm specifications.

> Mark, is this an editorial cut-and-paste mishap, or was it intentional?

instead fed to a hash algorithm, one can simply create a new CNG hash
provider that no-ops (eg: returns Z when told to H(Z)), to obtain Z.