RE: How long is ZZ?

Looks like the link in the ED is broken.

ftp://ftp.rsasecurity.com/pub/pkcs/ascii/pkcs-3.asc

Section 8.3

The integer secret key z shall be converted to an octet string SK, the
secret key, of length k. The secret key SK shall satisfy k z = SUM
2^(8(k-i)) SK'i . i = 1 where SK1, ..., SKk are the octets of SK from first
to last. In other words, the first octet of SK has the most significance in
the integer and the last octet of SK has the least significance.

So its dependent on what K is set to, which is defined in Section 4.