Re: What happended to SecretAgreee?

On Thu, Feb 27, 2014 at 2:07 PM, Ryan Sleevi <sleevi@google.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Feb 27, 2014 at 1:14 PM, Jim Schaad <ietf@augustcellars.com>wrote:
>
>> I do not believe that one can ever go directly from the ZZ value to  a
>> symmetric key for AES-CBC.  This is just really bad security behavior for
>> any number of reasons.  However this seems to be what is being proposed on
>> some level by the current discussion.
>>

> Ok, let's unpack what you said here. One certainly can. Your argument is
> whether you SHOULD. That's entirely different discussion.

It's a good and timely one, though.

If the only derived key algorithms allowed with (EC)DH were the KDFs, this
would simplify the specification considerably. I've been drafting the text
that allows an AES key, etc., to be derived directly from the DH secret
value (by truncation) and we have to jump through several hoops for that
(mainly to derive the length to which the shared secret should be
truncated, since this derivation is dependent on the target algorithm).

If it is bad practice to go directly from the secret value to an AES key
(say), I would argue that we should not support that as a first class
operation. If you really want to do it you can deriveBits on the DH key and
then import those as "raw" AES bits.

...Mark