RE: Bug 20611 - specify JWK encoding as UTF-8

From: Mike Jones [mailto:Michael.Jones@microsoft.com]
Sent: Friday, February 21, 2014 1:02 PM
To: Jim Schaad; 'Mark Watson'; public-webcrypto@w3.org
Subject: RE: Bug 20611 - specify JWK encoding as UTF-8

Actually, JOSE's stance is more nuanced than that, as implementations are
allowed to reject input with duplicate keys.  The language used is:

The Header Parameter names within the JWS Header MUST be unique; recipients
MUST either reject JWSs with duplicate Header Parameter names or use a JSON
parser that returns only the lexically last duplicate member name, as
specified in Section 15.12 (The JSON Object) of ECMAScript 5.1

I encourage WebCrypto to likewise allow implementations to reject input with
duplicate member names in all cases.

[JLS] I want to be clear - are you proposing that step 3 of "parse a JWK" be
modified to include "If duplicate member names are found during parsing,
terminate this algorithm with an error."

                                                                -- Mike