RE: Bug #23500 - Raw AES Access

From: Mark Watson [mailto:watsonm@netflix.com]
Sent: Thursday, February 20, 2014 12:53 PM
To: Mike Jones
Cc: Richard Barnes; Jim Schaad; public-webcrypto@w3.org
Subject: Re: Bug #23500 - Raw AES Access

On Thu, Feb 20, 2014 at 12:29 PM, Mike Jones <Michael.Jones@microsoft.com>
wrote:

Can someone please write the note that Jim described on how to use CTR to
build new modes, including ECB?  Then I'm ok with closing.

Do you mean a note in the specification ?

Isn't Jim just referring to the fact that if I encrypt a single block with
AES-CBC with IV = 0 I get the same result as ECB applied to that single
block ?

Or if I encrypt a zero block with AES-CTR with IV = X I get the same result
as ECB applied to X ?

That is exactly what I was indicating.   And I did not really see a need for
having the note in the text (thus the if needed) because I find this to be
very simple.  If you are going to do something as complex as do a new
chaining mode then you are going to have to be conversant about this type of
thing.

...Mark

-- Mike

  _____