Re: [W3C Web Crypto WG] CfC : Call for Consensus on the integration of curve25519 in WG deliverables (please vote until the 26th of August)

On 08/27/2014 02:18 AM, Ryan Sleevi wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 26, 2014 at 5:16 PM, Harry Halpin <hhalpin@w3.org>
> wrote:

> It's fairly standard IETF and W3C liaison work to make commitments
> to each other, which is done quite frequently when IETF and W3C
> have common concerns. See current work around URLs.
>
> Having that commitment on record of such a decision to work with
> IETF to find the bets possible resolution to the rather contentious
> ECC curve debate might be one of the ways out of the current
> legitimate demand for a non-NIST ECC curves.
>
> Of course, I'd also be happy to see the NIST ECC curves removed
> and put in an "extension spec" tied to the main spec that could
> progress to Rec track at the same time. That would at least put all
> curves on equal footing in version 1.0 of the Web Crypto spec and
> prevent this debate.
>

>> To be clear, I do not think we can nor should attempt to "rush"
>> the ECC curves. Your proposal - progress to Rec track at the same
>> time - is exactly what the objection is about.

No, the proposal was that we do not favour the NIST or non-NIST curves
in the main text of the spec at this point given the discussion in
TLS/CFRG and the NUMS proposal from Microsoft. That's why there was
all the timing options details, which would work regardless of how
IETF/CFRG progresses (or not).

Again, things can progress on the timing that makes sense. The W3C
does believe extensibility and fairness around contentious issues is
important for the API to have a properly global audience.

From: GALINDO Virginie [mailto:Virginie.Galindo@gemalto.com] Sent:

________________________________ This message and any attachments