From: Ryan Sleevi [mailto:sleevi@google.com]
Sent: lundi 11 août 2014 03:55
To: Harry Halpin
Cc: Mark Watson; Mike Jones; public-webcrypto@w3.org
Subject: Re: On Registries

On Aug 10, 2014 6:43 PM, "Harry Halpin" <hhalpin@w3.org<mailto:hhalpin@w3.org>> wrote:

> On 08/11/2014 03:26 AM, Ryan Sleevi wrote:
> > Considering no other WG has needed such a pointer, especially all
> > of the work in WebApps, I think such a pointer would be
> > counterproductive to the spirit of the spec process and ill-advised
> > in terms of spec maturity.
>
> What would you expect say, a developer who goes through the spec and
> notices that Curve25519 is not in the spec to do?
>
> Seems like a link back to where he could find a list of specs that the
> WG is working on in terms of algorithms could be useful to guide the
> developer to the right spec (ideally with test-suite that shows where
> it is or isn't implemented). Do you think there's an alternative?

Why ideally with a test suite? How is that any different from the main spec linking to a test suite? Or having one in-built? Why would algorithm extensions be expected to provide something the main spec doesn't?

> As much as I know we all enjoy new bugs asking for new curves when
> people read the spec and notice their favorite curve missing :)

I would rather solve real problems than deal with hypothetical strawmen.

Its the same situation as when a 'developer' reads the HTML5 spec and notices there's nothing about filesystem access. Or notes that there is no way to manipulate sound.

I have no objection to a wiki stating the PubStatus - WebApps has successfully done that for some time. What I object to is trying to shoehorn it into the spec somehow.

The maximal language that should be sufficient is "Additional specifications may define other algorithms."

Or split up the algorithms from the main spec, so that its obvious the relationship between the two.

> > I appreciate your attempt to try to balance things, but again,
> > HTML5 has succeeded without a 'pointer to things that define
> > structured clone', or to 'specs which define canvas.getContext', or
> > to 'supplemental interfaces to the Window interface', all of which
> > are functionally equivalent to any such extensibility discussion.
>
> Perhaps more analogous,

No. Its not really analogous to that at all, in that their processing mechanisms - and effects on web developers - are nothing like the aforementioned extension points of HTML5.

> HTML5 also has a wiki for link relationships
> [1] - see "Types defined as extensions in the microformats wiki
> existing-rel-values page with the status "proposed" or "ratified" may
> be used with the rel attribute on link, a, and area elements in
> accordance to the "Effect on..." field. [MFREL]" [1]. I suspect this
> is something less formal is what Mike was aiming at with a "registry"
> but I agree a formal registry will be difficult to maintain.
>
>  Historically, XML-DSIG used URIs for algorithms to avoid the
> "registry" problem.

Great for XML-DSIG. Except its relevance to the Web and how the Web works is virtually nonexistent.

Among other things, its not an API, nor exposed as such. Nor does it affect things in the same way. The applicability of the decisions made there are equally nonexistent (and more akin to JOSE than HTML)