Re: On Registries

I think you guys are maybe talking about two different things here.
There's a difference between assigning a uniform name for something and
giving it status as real part of the API.

On the one hand, Mike is correct that identifiers are cheap.  Vendor X
saying "we're reserving VndX-Foo for our proprietary Foo algorithm" has no
cost to the web platform (especially if you can create a special vendor
ghetto for these identifiers).  On the other hand, Ryan is correct that
it's very expensive to actually "officially" add algorithms to the API, in
the sense that web developers can rely on them being present across the web.

To make a registry analogy, the TLS ciphersuite registry is divided into
two chunks, one more liberal than the other.
"""
   -  TLS Cipher Suite Registry: Future values with the first byte in
      the range 0-191 (decimal) inclusive are assigned via Standards
      Action [RFC2434].  Values with the first byte in the range 192-254
      (decimal) are assigned via Specification Required [RFC2434].
"""

I doubt there's much disagreement here that "official" algorithms need to
go through the whole WG process, since they need broad consensus to ensure
broad implementation.  (That's the equivalent of the Standards Action
requirement for "official" ciphersuite values).

So the main question is whether we provide any facility for non-official
algorithms to reserve / de-conflict their identifiers.  In registry
language, this would apply a First Come First Served policy, or
Specification Required -- no consensus process involved.  On the one hand,
this could help experimentation be more orderly, at not much cost to
implementors or developers.  On the other hand, implementors in the web
have had no problem coming up with ad-hoc deconfliction schemes (e.g.,
moz_* and webkit_*).  And it has proven difficult in other contexts to
maintain the separation between "official" and "non-official" values, e.g.:
http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc6648

Net of those considerations, I'm inclined to not take any action for the
"non-official" algorithms.  There just doesn't seem to be a need for
coordinating action here; the community has a good history of organizing
itself.

But hopefully we can at least agree that "official" algorithms need to go
through a consensus process.

--Richard