Re: On Registries

On Thursday, August 7, 2014, Mike Jones <Michael.Jones@microsoft.com> wrote:

>  Simple.  In the first case, the algorithm is a data value.  In the
> second case, it’s encoded in an API.  Data values are easily extensible.
> APIs are not.  That’s why extending the space of algorithms by registering
> new data values makes a world of sense.  Expending the algorithms by adding
> new APIs for each would be clunky, procedurally slow, and mostly unworkable.
>
> I think what Ryan is saying is that it should be no easier to add an
algorithm than it is to add a new API (or, more strongly, that a new
algorithm *is* a new API and _therefore_ should be no easier to add).

IF we decided that it should be easier than this to add new algorithms and
especially if we decided that groups other than W3C Working Groups should
be able to do so, then a registry makes sense as a mechanism to coordinate
that.

Otherwise (which is where we are now), then the definitive list of
algorithms is to be found in the sum total of the output of the W3C
WebCrypto Working Group and nowhere else.

...Mark