Re: Meeting today: Agenda for Telecon Monday May 6th 20:00 GMT

On Mon, May 6, 2013 at 9:34 AM, Ryan Sleevi <sleevi@google.com> wrote:

> On Mon, May 6, 2013 at 9:30 AM, Mark Watson <watsonm@netflix.com> wrote:

> exposing keys

> (twice).
> editor's

> unwrap and
> >>
> >> I think the format bears some discussion - how coupled is it to the
> >> security assumptions being made and how separable is JOSE, even with
> >> wrap/unwrap being included as at risk.
> >
> > The format can be decoupled. I think we bottomed that out on the list:
> > (1) technically, we could design our own format that would be just as
> good
> > as JOSE - except that we're starting a lot later than them
> > (2) the API could be factored so that the format is determined by the JS,
> > but with the same "never expose keys to JS" properties. That design
> couldn't
> > support the existing JOSE format due to various technicalities (which
> could
> > potentially be addressed).
>
> These conclusions certainly come as a surprise to me - and not what I
> took away from the other (ongoing) thread.
>
> I was not proposing we design our own format. Merely explore how much
> of the choice for JWE-wrapped JWK was done because it was necessary
> and how much was done because it was convenient.

Sorry - maybe I worded the conclusion above with a slant that was not
intended. What I mean by (1) is just that JWE-wrapped JWK was chosen
because it was convenient and had already benefited from some study (in
JOSE).

> The point of
> necessity seems to be tied to the assumptions of security, which is
> why I don't think we've really reached a good place at all.

Hmm. Re-check the thread. Apologies if I gave the opposite impression, but
I was not arguing necessity for JWE-wrapped JWK.

What I did point out was that the existing JWE-wrapped JWK could not be
implemented using modified format-agnostic wrap/unwrap primitives, but only
due to a number of technicalities, not due to any fundamental design or
security reason.

The format issue can be decoupled from the bigger question of the security
rationalle for wrap/unwrap or more generally hiding keys from the JS.