RE: Web Crypto Spec Feedback on Dictionaries as return type properties

Inline is the correct updated Interface for the CryptoOperation (using the latest editor draft), I'm proposing.

Israel

On Thursday, May 2, 2013 1:30 PM, Israel Hilerio wrote:
> While reviewing the latest editor's draft of the Web Crypto API [1], we noticed a
> potential problem that might we worth quickly addressing before the spec
> advances to last call.
>
> Web Crypto defines an "Algorithm" as a dictionary type [2]. The Algorithm
> dictionary is useful for specifying multiple input parameters to a variety of
> functions in a natural, JavaScript-friendly way.
>
> The Algorithm dictionaries are also available in CryptoOperation [3] and Key [4]
> to allow for inspection of the source algorithm information from which those
> objects were created.
>
> The potential problem we've found is that Algorithm is provided on
> CryptoOperation and Key as a readonly attribute. This syntactic form is strictly
> prohibited by WebIDL [5], which states:
>
> "The type of the attribute, after resolving typedefs, MUST NOT be a nullable or
> non-nullable version of any of the following types:
> .a sequence type
> .a dictionary
> .a union type that has a nullable or non-nullable sequence type or dictionary as
> one of its flattened member types" [6]
>
> Instead, the recommend technique for providing a dictionary type as output is
> via an operation, such as "getAlgorithm()". We'd like to recommend that we
> make a change now to convert the two occurrences that use Algorithm as an
> attribute in the spec to use a method instead. This will avoid a late-breaking API
> change later (at LC or CR) when other working groups review the spec and
> uncover this violation.  We're open to alternative name suggetions-
> "getAlgorithm" just seems like the least amount of churn to address the issue.
>
> This suggestion will have the following impact on the Key and CryptoOperation
> interfaces:

interface CryptoOperation : EventTarget {
  void process(ArrayBufferView buffer);
  void finish();
  void abort();

  readonly attribute Key? key;
  readonly attribute any result;

  Algorithm getAlgorithm();

  [TreatNonCallableasNull] attribute Function? onabort;
  [TreatNonCallableAsNull] attribute Function? onerror;
  [TreatNonCallableAsNull] attribute Function? onprogress;
  [TreatNonCallableAsNull] attribute Function? oncomplete;
};