Re: On Crypto API Safety in the Hands of Unskilled Developers

Mark,

Richard's points about defaults gave been repeatedly discussed in the group
and numerous examples provided for how they fundamentally represent bad API
design for a low-level API, but are very much a part of a high-level API.

Further, it has also been discussed with how the argument that crypto is
somehow "special" or inherently more dangerous than other APIs is a
fundamentally flawed assertion. The ability for CSRF, cookie leaking, or
XSS all represent vastly more serious and real threats than bad
cryptography.

Developers can write extremely poor performant WebGL, but you don't see us
discussing VRML as the solution. Developers can write absolutely horribly
performing CSS, but you don't see us discussing ways to provide a default
set of "site templates," ala GeoCities of yore, to have code blessed by the
design priesthood.

The argument that Crypto can or is used to implement "security," a
fundamentally amorphous term that van mean completely contradictory things
depending on personal views (e.g. DRM) is irrelevant to the discussion of
the API - but it makes up the fundamental argument of Richard's position.

There is unfortunately nothing here that has not already been discussed at
length, and with numerous examea provided as to its unsuitablity for a
low-level API.

Discussions of parameters and serialization are EXACTLY the issue that a
high-level API tries to solve; when you say 'let's combine primitives and
serialization/persistence', you are no longer discussing a low-level API.

I did not say Richard's points were wrong - in the context of a high-level
API, they're an imminently sensible reminder of objectives. But in the
context of a low-level API, but especially in the context of this group,
its a retread of points not applicable.