Re: Anyone at Cryptography Forum Research Group at IETF 86?

Harry,

What you refer to as "broken crypto" is *not* a universal. For example, MD5
hashing is problematic, but HMAC-MD5 is not (though not recommended, its
hardly "broken").

Likewise, modes like AES-CBC by itself is problematic, but when combined
with a MAC (and when properly using encrypt-then-mac), CAN be used securely.

These are just two examples of the many, many nuances that we *SHOULD NOT*
be specifying. Nor is it reasonable, I think, to insist that we hold
publication until such a time as another group takes on that Sisyphean
task. Further, I would even go as far as to suggest that doing so, in this
API (directly or even as an informational reference) would be *actively
harmful* to the development community, as it would be seen as an
endorsement for the design of new cryptographic protocols by unskilled
cryptographers.

This API *must* support the use case of allowing existing protocols to be
implemented, and flexible enough to allow implementations of new protocols
like JOSE, but we must not pretend like we are encouraging a free for all
or naively trying to suggest that if you just knew X and Y, you could
design some new and arbitrary protocol and have it be secure. This is
exactly the message I feel your proposal will send, because it will be by
definition incomplete, which is why I continue to object to making this a
requirement.
On Mar 15, 2013 1:10 PM, "Harry Halpin" <hhalpin@w3.org> wrote:

> On 03/15/2013 06:06 PM, Ryan Sleevi wrote:

>>> Note that I am not asking for a complete security guide - that's
>>> obviously
>>> unreasonable. However, I also think it's equally unreasonable to