Re: IANA registry for WebCrypto?

To try to direct this to a more concrete proposal for what would go in an "algorithm identifier" document / registry:

-----BEGIN STRAW-MAN-----
1. An algorithm identifier is a JavaScript dictionary of the same general form defined in the current WebCrypto spec.  Entries in the dictionary may be JSON types or ArrayBufferViews.

2. Algorithm identifiers may be serialized/deserialized by applying JSON encoding/decoding, with Base64 encoding/decoding applied to fields that contain ArrayBufferViews.

3. Algorithms may have "short names" that represent an algorithm identifier with some fixed parameters.  The expansion of short names must be specified in a separate document.

4. Define the following registries:
4.1. Algorithms: names, parameters, spec reference
4.2. Algorithm short names: name, spec reference
-----END STRAW-MAN-----

This is basically the WebCrypto spec (1, 4.1) with some bits about how to play nice with serialization and abbreviation (2, 3, 4.2).  The function of the "short names" part is to make explicit the connection between shorter on the wire identifiers and API identifiers, so that developers don't have to figure it out on their own.

I don't care if this document gets written in the IETF or W3C, as long as it's common to WebCrypto and JOSE.  I would be happy to edit it.

--Richard